Wednesday, February 4, 2009

very good things are happening

Hi everyone-

There is a huge amount of great performance coming up. Like a shocking amount. Some of which I'm involved with and some not.
but I wanted to send a heads up to some of it.

The new show with Dancemakers is It's about time: 60 dances in 60 minutes.
It's really good. Actually and hugely. It is simple and big; fragile
and solid; magic and completely practical. It is so clear and makes so
much sense as a thing dance can do. Smart and brave with sections that
make me cry with laughter every time.
I am very proud to be part of it and hope you can come see what we've been doing.

It runs February 11 to 14 at 8pm.
with a 3pm performance on Saturday the 14th (great for those that are "Rhubarb! involved")
at the Enwave Theatre at Harbourfront Centre. Buy tickets here.
if you can't make any of those - there is an in-studio preview at our place in the Distillery on Saturday (Feb 7) at 7pm - seating is very limited though, so if it's your only option, email Caitlin now.

The thing I am most sad to be missing is Saturday February 7 РNo Name Dance - Aim̩e Dawn Robinson doing improvised music and dance with guests Eric Chenaux, Jennifer Castle, Nick Fraser and Allison Cameron - 8:00pm at the Music Gallery
Very very good things.

But before that Rhubarb! starts and Bluemouth Inc is at Harbourfront and World Stage

The Bluemouth show - an interactive dance marathon has me very curious and looking forward to it.

Rhubarb! this year is absurd - I'm in a very busy period of time and yet am going to have to go back twice every week.
These are good problems to have. That being said I wanted to highlight a few shows (nothing against the others)

Read all about it after the jump.




Amos Latteier
does a great lecture demo - I saw him talk about ants in Halifax.
Smart, curious and interested in what the lecture can do, this is one of the things that I was surprised and delighted to see in Rhubarb!. History of Cages is in Week one at 8pm in the Chamber.

Chad Dembski (Wet Dream) and Evan Webber (Moon Mission 3) both have shows in Week two . Both artists I love (and work with) and think everyone should see the work.

Week three there is  Ame Henderson and Public Recordings with /Dance/Songs/ and it's so lovely that it's back in Toronto. 

There's also long time friend, collaborator and Haligonian art star Dustin Harvey and Another City Another Life
And Matija Ferlin is doing the Friday late night (10:30) with Sad Sam.
All worth braving the cold.
also very curious about THE SEXUAL ABERRATIONS: PART ONE and LENI RIEFENSTAHL VS THE 20TH CENTURY and looking forward to, well, the entire program. And TALKING TO CHRIS DUPUIS.

A little further away is Dancemakers Presents: Antonija LivingstoneThe Part. February 26, 27 and 28 at 8pm. I'm so happy this is coming to Toronto.

And of course end of March I have a show with Small Wooden Shoe at Buddies.

See I said it was absurd the amount of work. It's exciting and important and makes me happy.
hope to see you at some of it.
Jacob

oh, and I'm going to see the great folks at Praxis tonight
and there's a trampoline hall coming up. yeesh

No comments: