Sunday, August 2, 2009

Guest Post: EDAP Week 2

By Kassandra Prus

This incredibly inspiring week began with Darryl Tracy’s full mind and body working classes. Ever fascinating, the wonderful accompaniment by Jeff made the days even more beautiful, while Darryl’s Wednesday birthday was cause for a fantastic skirt and dress filled class.
The week also contained my introduction to Skinner Release. Julia Sasso presents such a calm and inspiring yet incredibly logical way of looking at movement. The imagery and techniques used made me feel more grounded than I have felt in a long time, made me see how to move my limbs in a different way, gave me more relaxed mobility in all my joints, showed me where I held my tension, taught me how to effectively use my breath in a way that does not interfere or take energy away from my movement, and brought such a calm beauty into my improvisations. In a total of 4 hours! I told you it was good.

The beginning of the choreographic process has also been a joy. I couldn’t be happier with how the dancers have responded to my concepts and have helped me push them farther in just a few hours than I could have in months of deep contemplation. Their availability for discussion and improvisation have inspired me deeply, and have made me realize that part of my frustration with the world of the static arts is its inability to give back like a human mind and body can. Also, making a piece about happiness is the best decision anyone could make, as I walk out of those rehearsals walking on a cloud!

Being part of another choreographer’s process has also taught me a lot. Witnessing a thought process evolve from concept into movement has been at times confusing but important for me to see what it is probably like for others watching my own process. Being able to see such a thing gives me an opportunity to think on how I can be the most clear, efficient, and inspiring choreographer I can be. On to week three!

No comments: