Monday, August 10, 2009

A Perfect Ending

By Kassandra Prus

So the 3 weeks are over and I don’t know where the time went! The last week just flew by and began with Linda Garneau’s jazz classes. Her way of looking at movement as conversation sparked a major artistic realization that I now need to write about. Her bubbling positive attitude and strong viewpoint on the realness of movement just blew me away as well, never mind her stunning choreography.
Tanya Evidente’s ballet classes were probably the fastest paced of the bunch. Since I haven’t done ballet in a while, it was cause for a little bit of hilarity, which could have become embarrassment if the group hadn’t become so positive and cohesive by the third week. I suppose floundering is good once in a while.
Darryl Tracy’s circuit training was brilliant as well. There’s nothing quite like a group of people sweating it out together with Darryl watching over us, his whistle blowing and his “Eat It, Bitch” shirt staring us down.
By the end of it all though, our diverse group had become quite a cohesive bunch and the showing was just stellar. Kim’s lighting talents lent a beautiful finish to the pieces we somehow managed to complete in 20 hours (I can’t believe I made a 15 minute piece in 20 hours!) and the title An evening of four of the things we’ve been working on just seemed so right. With everyone running off to their different ends of the city and country (and some back down to the States), it feels a bit strange not coming back to the space we all got so accustomed to. It always amazes me how quickly you can become so comfortable moving with people when you share your learning and experimenting experiences. Although I’ve been ill and it’s been a bit tough at times, people were so understanding and supportive, there were too many inspiring moments to count and I couldn’t be any more thankful for the experience. Thank you so much to all the teachers, accompanists, Kim, Michael and Jacob for all their shared knowledge, inspiration and passion. I won’t ever forget it.

No comments: