Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thinking Out Loud October 19 update

Looking forward to the second study group on Monday.

The last one was great - a set of wonderful but radically incomplete notes are posted on the brand spanking new Thinking Out Loud blog - you're source for notes, updates and discussions surrounding the reading group. I'll flag new post here for a while, but add the new one to your RSS or Google Reader.

Rereading the What is the contemporary? article – I want to acknowledge that it’s pretty dense and there is a lot of language that requires second (or more) readings and liberal use of a dictionary. But this excites me. And it excites me in relationship to last weeks reading of The Act of Study. I’ve been thinking about marking the ideas or sentences that flash or pop out to me and connect with my preoccupations. We’ll work through the ideas and writing together through our own responses, a process I’m looking forward to. So, no fear, we're in it together.

I also wanted to link to another article that, I think, addresses some of the same issues with an explicit tie in to practice, specifically Martha Graham. We’ll focus on What is the contemporary? But the other two will be a tie in to dance practice.

To access the new article, just click here: How modern is modernism? The Relevance of Reconstruction. An Essay by AndrĂ© Lepecki about the Martha Graham Retrospective. As always, this new article is available in hard copy at the Dancemakers office.
We’ll still be looking at Reconstructing Dance: Taking an Active Interest in the Legacy of Dance: a short essay/website from the Goethe-Institut website.

Your RSVP’s and thoughts are more than welcome.

No comments: